Monday, October 28, 2013

Cutest Earflap Winter Hat

Over the weekend one of my best friends, and bridesmaids asked me if I could crochet her a cute, but of course, warm winter hat with ear flaps. So I've taken it upon myself to tweak my normal hat pattern and make it with earflaps.

Also, hopefully later I'll be able to post pictures from our AWESOME Halloween party we had on Saturday.

Earflap Winter Hat

I'm using a size N 9.00MM hook for this project.
I'm also using Bernat Softee chunky yarn today. 


Bernat Softee Chunky Yarn (28040) Black By The Each

Chain 5, slip stitch to the first to make a ring.

Row 1: Chain 1(count as sc) and single crochet in each stitch around. Slip stitch to the first sc.
Row 2: Chain 1, sc in same stitch and 2 in each stitch around. Join at the end.
Row 3: Chain 1, sc in same stitch, sc in the next stitch. *2 sc in the next stitch, 1 sc in the following. Repeat from * around. Join.
Row 4: Chain 1, sc in same stitch, sc in next 2 stitches. *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 2 stitchs. Repeat from * around and join. 
Row 5: Chain 1, sc in same stitch, sc in next 3 stitches. *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 3 stitches. Repeat from * and join.
Row 6: Chain 1, sc in same stitch, sc in next 4 stitches. * 2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 4 stitches. Repeat from * and join.
Row 7: Chain 1, sc in same stitch, sc in next 5 stitches. * 2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 5 stitches. Repeat from * and join.
Row 8:  Chain 1 and then sc around and join. Repeat row 8 until it measures 6-8 inches from crown to brim(for your liking).
I decided to change it up and did 2 rows of white a few rows after row 8.

Okay so now I'm on to the earflaps!

Row 1: Chain 1, sc in next 9 stitches.
Row 2-4:  Chain 1 and sc all 9 stitches.
Row 5:  Chain 1, sc 2 stitches together to make 1, sc in next 5 stitches, sc 2 stitches together to make 1 for 7 total stitches on row 5.
Row 6: Chain 1 and sc across the whole row.
Row 7: Chain 1, sc 2 together, sc in next 3 stitches, sc 2 together again for a total of 5 stitches on Row 7.
Row 8: Chain 1, sc 2 together, sc in next stitch, sc 2 together again for a total of 3 stitches. Fasten off .

Skip 13 single crochets. Join the yarn and start the earflap over on the other side.

Now for me, I'm going to brim the hat with the white. I'm going to where I started my first earflap and I'm joining the yarn and going to single crochet the whole way around the hat where it connects at the end, fasten off.

Then take at least 9 pieces of yarn at an equal length and put 3 in each of the stitches on the earflap and braid together. 


Not sure about you, but I think this is one of the cutest earflap hats I've ever seen! :]

I hope this pattern works for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment