Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The List of DOOM!

So I figured today I'd talk about the list of DOOM. And I'm sure many of my other future brides- and even grooms know what I'm talking about.

The guest list.

When you're a little girl, you plan your wedding in your head and you imagine your perfect wedding. For me, it was this gorgeous blue color scheme and being surrounded by my family and friends and (of course) my imaginary grooms friends and family. Now, as you get older and realize, "Holy crap I have to pay for this all myself!" You find yourself changing up exactly how you wanted it as a kid.

So the best way to tackle the list of doom? First, grab a HUGE notebook. Not only will you use this for your guest list, but it's a great way to get organized and write every single thing about your wedding planning in it. This thing has become my best friend.

Five Star Wirebound 3-Subject 4-Pocket Notebook, College Ruled, 11X8-1/2, 150 Sheets (MEA06210) - Assorted colors

Funnel it. Start big, go small. And always remember, not EVERYONE you invite will RSVP. In some cases, you might love the idea of some invitees not actually coming. Sometimes you don't really get along with certain family members but then your mother comes to you and says you have to because they're family. 

For instance, the list that Chris and I have compiled so far includes 13 in the wedding party(including ourselves), 84 from my family and 71 from his. That's 168 people right there. Yes, we both have very large families. And to be honest, it's not even all of mine... I cut some of the second cousins and such out(which my mother was NOT happy about). Then with our friends we come to a whopping 208. YIKES!

So the best way to cut down is to start striking. One(or two if they're a couple) get stuck from the list on both sides. I take one, Chris takes one. I take two, Chris takes two. It makes it fair with the "we haven't talked since high school" friends.

Now this is how we've helped get our list down, and we're still in the rough draft guest list stage, because honestly, I can't afford to feed a reception party of over 200 people. You always account for the most, pray for the immediate family & closest friends.

Hopefully, tomorrow, given some extra time away from finishing my Halloween costume, I'll be able to finish a few of my invitations so I can show you a great way to do those! :]

Goodnight and great planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment